TOK-SOCIETY-L Archives

March 2022

TOK-SOCIETY-L@LISTSERV.JMU.EDU

From:
Bruce Alderman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
theory of knowledge society discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 27 Mar 2022 08:28:29 -0700
Gregg, yes, I feel there's a very promising convergence afoot. John's
recent conversation with Rich Blundell was one of the main reasons I was
inspired to make public two of the meditations I do with one of my classes
(which I shared to the TOK list last week).  I believe what I have been
teaching for many years covers very closely the territory Rich and John
explored in that conversation -- the 1st- and 3rd person (participatory and
objective) approaches to Big History, but also much else that is in
convergence.  And I shared the meditations to the TOK list because of their
obvious, to me, relation to the inner/out dynamics of the coin and the tree
that you have been exploring.

Specifically, since 2007, I have been teaching a course called Paradigms of
Consciousness, which combines living systems theory; philosophy of mind;
autopoietic cognitive science (Varela/Maturana/Thompson); Big History/new
cosmology; indigenous wisdom; some aspects of quantum theory, carefully
handled; the practice of holistic dialogue (Bohmian and other); creative
myth-making; and philosophical-phenomenological inquiry as a means of
addressing the fundamental fragmentation and disconnection of our modern
way of being.  This course is a foundational one for our whole program,
which overall includes multiple courses that go into each of these facets
in even more depth.

I don't mean to suggest at all that what John is doing, or what you are
doing, is not new and ground-breaking in very important ways -- I think you
both have great contributions that people need to attend to -- but I do
feel that I've already been working in my classes for 15 years on
presenting a particular convergence of elements and themes that are getting
a lot of emphasis in these recent conversations.  That's one reason why I'm
so attracted to both of your bodies of work.  But I also sometimes burst a
little with excitement, wanting to say, "Yes! yes! I've been taking my
students to these places for a good while now," very specifically with an
aim to address the current psychocultural crises in which we find ourselves
enmeshed.