TOK-SOCIETY-L Archives

February 2019

TOK-SOCIETY-L@LISTSERV.JMU.EDU

Date:
Sat, 23 Feb 2019 22:03:05 +0000
Interesting paper on psychology and neoliberalism:

ABSTRACT

This article draws attention to the relationship between neoliberalism and psychology.Features of this relationship can be seen with reference to recent studies linkingpsychology to neoliberalism through the constitution of a kind of subjectivity susceptible to neoliberal governmentality. Three examples are presented that reveal the waysin which psychologists are implicated in the neoliberal agenda: psychologists’ conception and treatment of social anxiety disorder, positive psychology, and educationalpsychology. It is hoped that presenting and discussing these cases broadens the contextof consideration in which psychological ethics might be examined and more richlyinformed. It is concluded that only by interrogating neoliberalism, psychologists’relationship to it, how it affects what persons are and might become, and whether it isgood for human well-being can we understand the ethics of psychological disciplinaryand professional practices in the context of a neoliberal political order and if we areliving up to our social responsibility.

Sugarman, J. (2015). "Neolberalism and Psychological Ethics". Journal of Theoretical and Philosophical Psychology, 35, 103 - 116.

~ Jason Bessey