TOK-SOCIETY-L Archives

May 2019

TOK-SOCIETY-L@LISTSERV.JMU.EDU

From:
JOHN TORDAY <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 15 May 2019 08:09:46 -0400
Dear Gregg, Brent, Aeon and List, if I could just jump in here, much of
what is being said by all needs IMHO to be reconsidered in light of the
difference between descriptive and mechanistic Biology/Physiology. So for
example, semiotics is a description of what I have been referring to with
respect to the centrality of cell-cell communication in embryologic
development and homeostasis superimposed on phylogeny as the way to
understand the process of evolution. That's very different from Darwinian
evolution based on a reproductive strategy for more offspring, which is a
materialistic viewpoint. In terms of Brent's quest for answering the 'Hard
Question' of Qualia, I think the answer lies in the way I have recalibrated
Pleiotropy, the capacity of biology to recombine/repermute the same gene
for multiple purposes over the course of evolution. Up until now that
phenomenon has remained a fascinoma, but seen in the context of evolution,
it is explained by the pre-adaptational strategy of reutilizing genes under
duress as the most economical way of solving existential problems
evolutionarily. In the context of Qualia, perhaps we see 'red' when we are
writhing in pain because it references bleeding as a process related to
pain, the two processes being linked through common cellular-molecular
signaling mechanisms. As for Aeon, I fully ascribe to the idea that we need
to address how to re-synthesize philosophy and empiricism if I am correct
in thinking that we've gotten evolution 'backwards' and that the
unicellular state is the primary level of selection based on the emerging
knowledge of epigenetic inheritance. With the Best of Intentions. John