TOK-SOCIETY-L Archives

July 2018

TOK-SOCIETY-L@LISTSERV.JMU.EDU

From:
Lonny Meinecke <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 6 Jul 2018 09:32:27 -0400
Hi John,
Thank you again for your reply about food and the self. This is so incredible to me:
   "BTW, Alfred Tauber is the son of an old family friend......I attended his Bar Mitzvah circa 1959....small world"

For those of us who graze like drooling rabbits in university libraries, wondering when we will be chased out of someone's lovely garden... to meet and chat with folks like you'all... and read about how you are like family to one another (while most of us feel like nuisance mammals in a garden), is such a privilege (!)

Thank you for sharing this - it means a great deal to me to be able to picture real people rather than try and memorize their amazing theories (without really knowing the people who discovered them - see below). It's one thing to be able to visit the Louvre and ogle at the paintings. It's another thing to bump into the painters as you leave the gallery!
--Lonny

From my short list of key references:
Tauber, A. (2014). The biological notion of self and non-self. In Edward N. Zalta (ed.) The Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy. Retrieved from http://plato.stanford.edu/archives/win2014/entries/biology-self/