TOK-SOCIETY-L Archives

April 2020

TOK-SOCIETY-L@LISTSERV.JMU.EDU

From:
Jeffery Smith MD <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 3 Apr 2020 19:55:00 -0400
Hello, all.

I hope you don't mind my piping up here. My qualification is that I'm a
thinking clinician without a philosophy background, and who sees concrete
physical phenomena as the "terra firms" on which to base understanding when
possible.

So typically, my first real encounter with mind/body was in the early 80s,
when I got my kids a Commodore Vic 20 computer. That was the one before the
Commodore 64, and it had 8k of memory and basic programming built in. My
first real project was, of course, to build a neural network program for
character recognition. It finally ran all night, and I wasn't sure if it
had succeeded or not, but in the process I got a feel for how a network of
nodes of adjustable sensitivity could hold information in a form that could
not be "read" other than by running the program., In the electronic world,
the hardware was in no way altered by the information it contained. I could
wipe it out and reseed it from my cassette drive at any time. That was
total separation between hardware and data processing.

Applying that analogy to the brain, the situation is only a little
different. The brain can adjust synapses (nodes) in a way we now know can
be reprogrammed, but there is also proliferation of new synapses and more
permanent changes in "hardware." Thus, the mind-brain problem is slightly
complicated. You could do the same with a computer if, attached to the
machine, there was a robot that could add memory chips when a running
program was exceeding its existing memory. Then the hardware would be
affected by the contents and processing.

Also, as with computers, the design of the hardware can and does impose
some restrictions and stylistic slant to the way data is processed. The
design of the brain affects the mind. The fact that nerve cells are all or
nothing and the fact that they can either activate each other or inhibit
each other has something to do with how we think. I think of the
non-conscious part, especially, as a "metaphor engine, which is specialized
for associations and has a bent for binary organization of choices.

What that means to me, is that mind is the processing and manipulation of
information, and information of all kinds sis stored in neural networks and
pathways. All forms of information appear to be stored in the same form,
ranging from the smell of lilacs to the latest "look" from the Paris
Fashion Week.

I was also very interested in unconscious logic, where I could imagine the
smell of lilacs activating other neural networks like the memory of a
picnic years ago. In the unconscious, these associations are simply
associations, and have no specificity as to the exact nature of the
relationship. It just means that one neural network has some connections to
another.

So in this way, I guess I have always though of Qualia as activation of
neural networks with connections to other neural networks that make for the
rich connotations and associations we have.

Two things are central to being human. One is that we all go through
similar challenges in life but the exact way each is experienced is
different for every individual, so the smell of lilacs can't be assumed to
be the same from one person to another. On the other hand, we do a huge
amount of comparing notes and correcting, starting from childhood, so as to
build and maintain a relative sameness of names and language within
cultures. With regard to different schools of therapy, this means that, at
best, everyone has a different understanding of terms, and no school's
understanding is very cohesive or consistent. That leads to a last point.

It has been very important to me, to identify what I think of as the
"natural cleavage planes" of psychology. That is to say there are some
"things," shame for example, that are extremely useful, and that we can
name with some confidence that everyone is talking about the same thing, or
close to it. I've always tried to build concepts and ideas out of those
elements that seem to correspond to relatively consistent aspects of
reality. Doing so, I think it is possible to talk about therapy in ways
that can be shared.

I am curious to know if this is an unusual point of view and if it makes
sense from the philosophical vantage point.

Thanks for reading.

Jeffery Smith

PS:  Two resources helped me:

1.  About Qualia:
https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__plato.stanford.edu_entries_qualia_&d=DwIFaQ&c=eLbWYnpnzycBCgmb7vCI4uqNEB9RSjOdn_5nBEmmeq0&r=HPo1IXYDhKClogP-UOpybo6Cfxxz-jIYBgjO2gOz4-A&m=qw24RYyqZT2FxHb-TKq4t-vPk8z0wVfvQ5uo2OXZwgU&s=B2APfI7nkM39wuARyuspC4NQZPhSwxnFnVeDQf6LEtY&e=

2. Bayesian processing theory:
https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.mindcoolness.com_blog_bayesian-2Dbrain-2Dpredictive-2Dprocessing_&d=DwIFaQ&c=eLbWYnpnzycBCgmb7vCI4uqNEB9RSjOdn_5nBEmmeq0&r=HPo1IXYDhKClogP-UOpybo6Cfxxz-jIYBgjO2gOz4-A&m=qw24RYyqZT2FxHb-TKq4t-vPk8z0wVfvQ5uo2OXZwgU&s=slG1YRmH0ac56wlGUEpBwNuGV-TDaMZYoyjTMq83Xxo&e=