TOK-SOCIETY-L Archives

August 2019

TOK-SOCIETY-L@LISTSERV.JMU.EDU

From:
"Henriques, Gregg - henriqgx" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 24 Aug 2019 16:48:28 +0000
Waldemar,

  Thanks for the question.

  The Digital Identity Problem is the “omnibus” term for the four different meta-crises. The “digital-globalization crisis” is one of the four crises, and it refers to the way in which the digital landscape is changing all the old institutions and is opening up new global connections. It refers to the fact that our communication systems, data processing systems, national, media, economic and other systems were build in the context of the industrial age that relied on physical boundaries and other forms of localized communication that are now remarkably outdated. The digital globalization crisis is fraught with both pitfalls and possibilities.

  The DIP is includes the larger question of how do navigate the emergence of the digital landscape and do it with a wise understanding of the human condition at the psychological and social and moral levels of analysis.  Thus, it brings in the meaning crisis and the mental health crisis and precarious large scale relationship with the planet.

  I will offer that the Fifth Joint  Point final chapter in my book aligns quite well with the concept of the Digital Identity Problem in that it orients us to become aware of the fact that the world is changing in profound ways, in part due to the rise of digital information/communication systems and we need to attend to the human story in a coherent scientific humanistic way if that transition is going to be a positive one. The DIP just adds urgency because it orients us to see how confused we are, how much things are changing and how fast, how precarious our institutions may be, and, when placed on the field of the ecology and what we are doing to the plant, then it just means we need to devote real energy to waking folks up to the situation we are in.

Hope this helps. I appreciate the inquiry and the need for us to be clear and can see that it is easy to potentially conflate the meta Digital Identity Problem with the specific digital globalization crisis.