TOK-SOCIETY-L Archives

April 2021

TOK-SOCIETY-L@LISTSERV.JMU.EDU

From:
Greg Thomas <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 16 Apr 2021 09:43:40 -0400
Good morning Gregg,

Thanks again for sharing our blog posts!

I understand the distinctions you're making and the wider range of wisdom
models you're drawing on. Indeed, the sage (and the indigenous shaman you
mention) are archetypal examples of wisdom holders.

But in posing an implicit "you thought wisdom was this, but it's really
that" framing, Brooks is leaning on the conventions of persuasive
exposition within an op-ed within a limited amount of print newspaper space.

As a fellow journalist and essayist, I'm very familiar with such
conventions and boundary conditions. I can feel his pain! šŸ˜‰

So he's trying to expand the definition and connotation of wisdom from a
"wise man who speaks profound propositional knowledge" to a person with
graceful second-person skills who can help others feel valued and thereby
be open to growth and change from within their own sphere of reference and
agency.

Obviously you get this point; you mentioned the therapeutic setting with
patients as exemplifying this very dynamic.

But to use an epistemological context we're both very familiar with, in
Vervaeke terms this approach uses procedural skillful means via
intersubjective rapport and support/challenge leading to perspectival
expansion and shifts. Then as an agent in the social and cultural arena,
the person supported and challenged can engage in participatory knowing,
hopefully a co-creative collective intelligence beyond solo monads and
interpersonal dyads.

Also within Brooks' journalistic frame of reference is his elevation of the
editor as an exemplar of wisdom. This is a very significant archetypal
extension and elaboration. Analogous to the role of coaches in sports and
business, the role and function of editors is to bring out your best and to
help you grow into the same.

I've worked with mediocre editors and with masters of that craft such as
the Village Voice rock critic Bob Christgau. OMG, to be a young writer in
the hands of a master editor is bliss.

For me, that was wisdom-in-action.

So I don't think Brooks would disagree with you, Gregg. I think he'd agree
that it's both/and rather than either-or.

And as that form of wisdom is more aligned with what's called soft skills
(as it's in the domain of the feminine), I think we should give it even
more exposure now than the sage/shaman per se, traditionally male
archetypes.

That form of wisdom hasn't prevented or  led us out of the meta-crisis. The
relational form of wisdom just might.

Best,
Greg