TOK-SOCIETY-L Archives

November 2020

TOK-SOCIETY-L@LISTSERV.JMU.EDU

From:
Deepak Loomba <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 23 Nov 2020 23:00:32 +0530
Gregg,

Yes, I heard the Penrose's talk with Weinstein. Non-Euclidean geometry
(Riemannian sphere) indeed has been a great knife to cut many an apple.
Relativity led to creation of various transformations because as the
frames of references & medium of communication (space) change calculations.

Figure one and two are trajectories of submarines travelling from same
point A to B in the ocean.
*Question - */Which of the two figures is more likely to take lesser
time to travel would the submarine be travelling at constant speed in
both cases./

Those who answered Figure 1 are wrong. Because for someone floating on
the ocean Figure 1 seems straight. But for someone far in space or sky,
Figure two is straight, quite like a straight line joining two points on
a circle is always shorter than the circumferential arc.

Similarly, London, Paris & Moscow actually form a right angled triangle
on earth but Pythagoras theorem does not hold true for them. While the
earth's surface is Riemannian, our local space is Euclidean. Therefore,
we need to make adjustments. Quite similarly, the curvature of space
changes with its average density. Light moves in a straight line, but
straight for an observer inside curved space is curved for an observer
far away, where the curvature does not exist. So that which is straight
for one inside, is curved for one outside the impact of mass.

The time for a laser signal propagating in a laid straight cable will be
more than that needed for a laser signal propagating straight in air. So
for our frame of reference we need to make transformations to calculate
the correct time taken by light when it passes in proximity to large
stars or blackholes.

In context of my writings - it meant that representations allow for
simplification and resolution of problems. The curved space is real, its
transformation on a complex plane, helps us calculate time taken to
travel through it from point of view of our non-curved space. So the
curvature is real, its transformation is a mathematical representation
for precision of calculation.

There are numerous non-spherical representational geometries. As an
example two parallel lines on a hyperbolic planes (Thermal Plant
condensers if your have seen them) never meet (like parallel lines) but
the distance between them is not constant.

TY
DL