TOK-SOCIETY-L Archives

May 2019

TOK-SOCIETY-L@LISTSERV.JMU.EDU

From:
JOHN TORDAY <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 6 May 2019 08:55:24 -0400
Hi Gregg, Alexander and TOK listers, perhaps as a foil to this wonderful
discussion about ontology and the primacy of experience, I offer the
perspective of David Bohm, author of "Wholeness and the Implicate Order",
predicated on the idea that our subjectively evolved senses have given us
the Explicate Order, but that there is an absolute Implicate Order that
exists beyond the Explicate Order. I have suggested that the way we
effectively transcend the Explicate, moving toward the Implicate Order as
we evolve is through experimentation, either formally or as the result of
the 'phenotype as agent', which I have described in a publication as the
way that the unicellular zygote gleans information from the environment.
But more to the point of Wheeler's way of thinking about human eyes and
consciousness 'having originated at the beginning of the Universe', I have
proffered that our physiology has evolved from matter, and that the
vestiges of that origin are still embedded in cell physiology as the
homologies between Quantum Mechanics and The First Principles of
Physiology. For example, we are able to conceive of Heisenberg's
"Uncertainty Principle" because we ourselves evolved from the ambiguous
difference between the Free Energy within the cell and in the Cosmos,
enabling us to circumvent the Second Law of Thermodynamics. And
parenthetically, I think that the underlying basis for life is not
'information' but 'communication' because information is matter, whereas
the process of evolution is all about energy. As Whitehead expressed this
in his 'Process Theory', matter is an artifact produced by the collision of
energies. Like Arnold de Loof, who states that evolution is a 'verb' not a
noun, I think that the basis for evolution is as a process, not a thing.
The focus on Information is a consequence of descriptive biology, oriented
to matter, whereas evolution is a process by which energy is constrained,
combined and permutted to perpetuate negentropy (Schrodinger, 'What is
Life'). I have arrived at this conclusion by superimposing the mechanism of
embryonic development as cell-cell communication on phylogeny. The
communication mechanism is constituted by energy exchange between one cell
and another mediated by high energy phosphate compounds such as cyclic AMP
and Inositol Phosphates. In closing, I would like to reiterate that all I
have stated is based on deductive experimental evidence, in the spirit of
Logical Positivism, not inductive conjecture. I see experimental hypothesis
testing/refutation as the way forward IMHO.