TOK-SOCIETY-L Archives

July 2018

TOK-SOCIETY-L@LISTSERV.JMU.EDU

From:
Mark Stahlman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 10 Jul 2018 06:35:42 -0600
  ToKers/TOKers:

At the risk of getting ahead of myself (i.e. before Gregg returns),
let me start the conversation about *causality* by piggy-backing on
our discussion about the "ToK Stack" and its relationship with
"science."

In his Metaphysics (4th-century BC), Aristotle details four causes:
Material, Kinetic, Final and Formal.  Yes, I know that the second of
these has commonly called "efficient" in English (probably since the
17th century) but, for various reasons, we are changing that to
"kinetic" (although perhaps "mechanistic" would also fit.)

Here are the correspondences (denoted by "~", not equals or "=") that
I would suggest --

_ToK Stack_

  CULTURE ~ Sociology/Economics/Political Science/Anthropology ~ Formal Cause

  MIND ~ Psychology ~ Final Cause

  LIFE ~ Biology ~ Kinetic Cause

  MATTER ~ Physics ~ Material Cause

  All of these causes were actively engaged and widely understood in
the 13th/14th/15th centuries in Europe -- particularly after Aristotle
was translated into Latin (sometimes from Greek, sometimes from
Arabic) -- but their usage fell-off precipiticiously following the
invention of the Printing Press and the expansion of its
"paradigmatic" effects in the 16th/17th centuries (aka the
"Enlightenment").

  In particular, in as much as what we think of as "science" requires
*mechanisms* (as John has been reminding us) -- since the goal is
engineering -- this could be thought of as the result of the Royal
Society of London, which explicitly banned all discussion of "religion
and metaphysics" in its 1660 by-laws -- effectively banning all
discussion that involved "final" and "formal" causes.

Leibniz -- who attempted to establish rival groups in Berlin and St.
Petersburg (which would likely not have had those restrictions) --
made a promise to the London group: he would deliver to them a
"calculating engine," which some today use to credit him with
inventing "computers" (and a newly fabricated copy of which now sits
in a case outside the chairman's office at IBM, where I've visited
it).  That's *kinetic* cause.  However, as we know from his life, what
he was really trying to accomplish was a "universal language" (to
replace Latin) and "linquistics" (unless it is reduced to
"mechanisms") is *formal* cause.

  Newton, Leibniz's rival and a stalwart of the London group, is
famous for his "Laws of Motion" -- which is to say, *kinetic*
causality.  However, as those who have studied Newton know, not only
was he an aggressive Alchemist (which is "formal cause," pointing to
why John uses it as an insult) and he spent much more of his time
poring over the Bible to try to figure out the timing of the 2nd
Coming (which is "final cause") than he did on his mathematics (which
is why Leibniz published first on the Calculus).

  If we limit ourselves to Material and Kinetic causes, we will get as
far as Physics (MATTER) and Biology (LIFE) but no further.  To rise to
the "level" of Psychology (or MIND), we will have to consider what
happens to LIFE when it becomes "self-aware" in the sense that humans
show that power -- which means including *final* causality (i.e. what
for humans we now call "mythology" or "how does all this end"?).  To
be sure, there is a "psychology" that uses *material* cause (i.e.
"complexity science"), with some *kinetic* causality thrown in, which
is called "cognitive psychology" (i.e. the dominant mode today,
responsible for modeling humans on computers.)  Not a drop of either
*final* or *formal* involved there at all.

  I remember having dinner with Jim Rutt (and his wife and my
girlfriend) last year when all this came up.  Jim is a "manager" (not
a researcher) who is particularly good at remembering what others have
studied, who was brought into the Santa Fe Institute to put
Humpty-Dumpty-back-together-again after they were spinning around way
off-in-the-weeds.  He told me that he'd never heard of these terms and
would only allow me to discuss them if I could "reduce" them to the
Material/Kinetic causes he already understood.

  Then, when he got frustrated about the direction the discussion was
going on the Rally Point Alpha group he started on Facebook, he tossed
me and my friends off the group -- which then quickly imploded and has
now collapsed.  Gee, I wonder what "caused" that to happen . . . <g>

  Yes, I know that John has told us that MIND and CULTURE can be
explained by *kinetic* causes alone but I suspect that few on this
list would agree.  These "upper" levels of the "ToK Stack" need
something more and, indeed, I would suggest that the reason why these
"social sciences" are in such bad shape today is precisely because
they are so "causally ignorant" (given the currently limited
"scientific" approaches).

  To restore these upper levels -- which has become far more urgent
now that we are living in a *new* paradigm -- an expansion of our
understanding of causality is required.  I look forward to Gregg's
contribution to this discussion soon . . . !!

  Mark