TOK-SOCIETY-L Archives

May 2020

TOK-SOCIETY-L@LISTSERV.JMU.EDU

Sender:
From:
Cole Butler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 4 May 2020 21:01:35 -0500
Hi all,

I have been sitting in on my boss's graduate course, "Behavioral and
Cognitive Behavioral Intervention for Children and Adolescents," and have
been completing some of the associated readings. Our last week of reading
is this week, and I came across this excerpt in the book that we use
<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.amazon.com_Evidence-2DBased-2DPsychotherapies-2DChildren-2DAdolescents-2DThird_dp_1462522696_ref-3Ddp-5Fob-5Ftitle-5Fbk&d=DwIFaQ&c=eLbWYnpnzycBCgmb7vCI4uqNEB9RSjOdn_5nBEmmeq0&r=HPo1IXYDhKClogP-UOpybo6Cfxxz-jIYBgjO2gOz4-A&m=LRs-Uams-vXUPwgdZlTCg6QYRHduyoIVa5ns-hSkxWM&s=ITTUXQMgC6Iaa03wkBKwoCgId1kzYK7hwErHuixK_p8&e=>
:

*Coverage of Theoretical Perspectives on Youth Treatment*

"The evidence-based psychotherapies encompass several of the influential
theoretical perspectives that have guided youth treatment historically, but
certainly not all the relevant theories. Behavioral (operant, classical,
and modeling) approaches are common among the tested treatments, as are
cognitive-behavioral applications; and family systems perspectives are
evident in some treatments (e.g., Le Grange & Robin, Chapter 18, this
volume). But numerous other schools of therapy (e.g., psychodynamic,
client-centered, humanistic) are largely missing from the roster. A similar
pattern is evident in meta-analyses of published treatment outcome research
(e.g., Kazdin et al., 1990; Weisz, Weiss, Han, Granger, & Morton, 1995;
Weisz et al., in press), with the great majority of the studies in those
meta-analyses testing behavioral and cognitive-behavioral treatments.
A problem with this state of affairs is that many of the nonbehavioral
treatment models that are common in everyday clinical practice are rarely
found in the child and adolescent research literature (see, e.g., Kazdin et
al., 1990; Weisz et al., in press). We have a strong and rapidly expanding
evidence base on treatments that are not so widely used in practice, and we
have a weak and barely growing evidence base on the approaches that are
especially common in practice, some of which might prove to be effective if
properly tested (Kazdin, 2015; Weisz, Kuppens, et al., 2013). Indeed, in a
meta-analysis of randomized trials comparing certified evidence-based youth
psychotherapies to usual clinical care (Weisz et al., 2013), 29% of the
studies showed either negligible differences (effect sizes < 0.10) or
superior effects for usual care, suggesting that we may have something to
learn from everyday clinical practice. The treatment approaches that
service providers use and trust clearly warrant more attention in clinical
trials than they have received to date. The disparity between the scope of
evidence and the scope of practice is illustrated by Kazdin’s (2000) count
identifying more than 550 named therapies that are used with children and
adolescents, only a tiny percentage of which have been subjected to any
empirical test. The field could profit from research that broadens the
array of empirically tested treatment models. Researchers willing to take
on this challenge will find no shortage of candidate models."

I found this very interesting, as I find myself likened more to the "other
schools of therapy" referenced herein, more so than to cognitive-behavioral
therapies. I have noticed this inclination toward using behavioral-based
therapies in child treatment research, and found it quite interesting that,
as they point out, therapies in the community setting are *usually not
those*.

It seems that the child-treatment folks are becoming more focused on
integrated and/or alternative approaches in the child literature as well.
At least, it seems so. I think a lot about going the clinical child track,
and I would find it very compelling to examine how well other
therapeutic systems outside of the domain of the hot-topic EBTs work.

Anyway, just some thoughts - figured some of you would find this
interesting. I've attached a PDF of the book chapter if you'd like to read
the rest of it (please do not distribute it).

Best,

Cole Butler
TPAC Project Coordinator
University of Maryland
UMD ADHD Lab <https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.umdadhd.org_cole&d=DwIFaQ&c=eLbWYnpnzycBCgmb7vCI4uqNEB9RSjOdn_5nBEmmeq0&r=HPo1IXYDhKClogP-UOpybo6Cfxxz-jIYBgjO2gOz4-A&m=LRs-Uams-vXUPwgdZlTCg6QYRHduyoIVa5ns-hSkxWM&s=EBS8fUbhtMFDk4R1XDSu_q_ADjXw9XiZBdqX41JOCQk&e=>
2103W, Cole Field House | College Park, MD 20742
tel 301.405.6163