TOK-SOCIETY-L Archives

October 2019

TOK-SOCIETY-L@LISTSERV.JMU.EDU

From:
"Henriques, Gregg - henriqgx" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 19 Oct 2019 12:49:10 +0000
Alexander,

  Speaking for myself and what we might consider to be the “American Syntheist” vision I am working on, I agree with Zak that the key is the question of “sapience” (and ecologically and relationally wise living for humans). By that I mean that in 1996-1997, I stumbled across a way to frame the form of the human person via JUST-JH. That led me to scientifically understand the nature of us as “socio-emotional primates” relative to us as “self-conscious, Cultured persons”. Our species awoke via “justification” and rapidly evolved because justification systems rapidly evolved.

  Have you see Peterson’s (Western psychological) analysis of the Garden myth in Genesis? (first three episodes especially<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f-wWBGo6a2w>). Through the logos awakening we became self-consciously aware of our lives (and what was “Good”) and our death (and what was “Evil”). To my mind--at least in the context of this Western Judeo-Christian Mythos--wisdom means we need to return to the project of building our Gardens eat off of the mythical Tree, constructing our new ethic for a new age. Thus, we “fell” from Grace and were exiled from the Garden as we self-consciously woke up (4th Joint point JUST-JH)…and now we can rebuild Wise Gardens as we awake again to the “Digital God” made in our image via the 5th Joint Point (ToK/Garden UTUA).

  How does that jive with your Zoroastrian Synthetic view? I see it as a bit more (a) American, (b) Judeo-Christian; (c) Individualistic; (d) Western and (e) Moral versus ethical…but it still seems to line up remarkably well. When I was working on my “crazy Garden project” I had no idea that I was groping for a (metamodern) Hegelian Synthesis of Christian theism and the New Atheists, but now I can see that is a perfectly reasonable way of framing it.

Thoughts?