TOK-SOCIETY-L Archives

February 2020

TOK-SOCIETY-L@LISTSERV.JMU.EDU

From:
Peter Lloyd Jones <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 19 Feb 2020 17:14:02 -0500
I am still lost on the concept of Culture War 2.0. From where I’m standing, it’s still Culture War 1.-something. The only difference today from 50 years ago is 24-hour discussion panels on TV and the Internet and its related digital media. In 1960 it was much easier to ignore the many various cultural voices. Now they all have a goddamn platform, a website, a forum, and an Instagram group. It seems that Culture War 2.0 might be a polite way of saying that those at the top of the cultural hierarchy have finally noticed the noise that has been there all along.

And science is nowhere near replacing religion; in fact, it’s invigorating it just like in how America having had a black president has invigorated bigotry and openly spoken distrust and hatred for foreigners, non-christian religion, people of color, and human rights in general.

All of these many culturally diverse interests with voices today are only a threat to those hoping to maintain the privilege that those with privilege claim does not exist. Inclusiveness is only good for those not at the top of the power hierarchy. For those at the top it’s a scary horror. I am am sorry, but white men explaining this culture war to me is like white men explaining racism and sexism to me; I don’t find any authority in it. Sweeping concepts tend to rely on generalizations and stereotypes. Where are the women and people of diversity to talk about this culture war?

Maybe my point of view is tainted by living life disappointed by how no suppressed group has ever had a complete win; it’s just been four-hundred years of baby steps at best. Still today in America, once with an absolute hierarchy based on land ownership, it still in many ways clings to the measure of land ownership for a person to be more than invisible. We haven’t yet completed a real first step. I hope I’m wrong.

Thank you,
Peter

Peter Lloyd Jones
562-209-4080

Sent by determined causes that no amount of will is able to thwart.