TOK-SOCIETY-L Archives

September 2021

TOK-SOCIETY-L@LISTSERV.JMU.EDU

From:
Victor MacGill <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 6 Sep 2021 08:39:55 +1200
I thought I would send in two metaphors I use with clients. It keeps
things simple but they seem to work well. The first was created by Sir
Mason Durie, A NZ Maori, orignially meant for use in a health arena. It
is called Te Whare Tapa Wha or the four walls of a house. Instead of a
hierarchy there are four interconnected walls that from a strong
resilient structure

1    Tinana - The body

2    Hinengaro - The mind

3    Whanau - Family - social - relationships

4    Wairua  - Spirit

Other people have noted that a house must sit in the land - environment