TOK-SOCIETY-L Archives

May 2020

TOK-SOCIETY-L@LISTSERV.JMU.EDU

From:
Chance McDermott <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 11 May 2020 14:25:31 -0500
Stimulating question, Jamie.

A football player can can leap at full speed and dive into the ground, not
noticing until later that their leg is scraped bruised.  They were focused
and goal driven, consumed by a flow state.  The same player can be alarmed
by the sting of an fire ant at picnic and be ridiculed for the resultant
panic.

There was an entomologist who was famous briefly on YouTube.  He would
encourage scary looking insects to sting him and people liked to watch him
get stung.

People like pain they agree to.  They may even demand it.

-Chance