TOK-SOCIETY-L Archives

February 2022

TOK-SOCIETY-L@LISTSERV.JMU.EDU

From:
"Henriques, Gregg - henriqgx" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
theory of knowledge society discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 13 Feb 2022 13:46:42 +0000
Rachel,

  This is a good and deep question, and as Nik’s reply suggests, there is much to be mined here and reflected on and debated.

  For me, I am really just making three basic points that I think are pretty straight forward. The first is that we can separate out awareness from the way our self grips it. That is, we want to be able to just attend to what is present in us. One way to think about this is to have a look at this blog on the four levels of pain<https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/theory-knowledge/201210/the-four-levels-pain#:~:text=The%20four%20levels%20are%20as,emotional%20reaction%20to%20the%20pain.>. In it, it mentions the fact that some people can experience the sensation of pain without the affective aversive element. This is a rare and problematic condition because it renders the crucial function of pain mute. However, it shows conceptually the difference between perceptual awareness of sensation and affective charges in response to that. Although for most of us, pain will be part of the foundational experience of being, it nonetheless is the case that with training we can distance the process by which we fuse our awareness of being with the motives, needs, and perspectives of the self, ego, and persona.

  The second point is that differentiating the witnessing of awareness from the attachments of the self, ego, and persona is potentially very helpful. I think Rob Scott and his work on the Fundamental Shift makes this case especially well. However, it is also a central feature of Eastern meditation and thus there is a huge set of traditions and practices that take this meditative mindful approach to being in many valuable directions. Regardless of one’s specific angle or set of practices in this domain, the general second point then is that this separation of witnessing from gripping/needing/attaching is an important set of insights that can lead to wisdom.

  The third point is that awareness itself is an interesting philosophical phenomena. One way to characterize it is as follows: It is where the epistemic is the ontic. That is, awareness is an epistemic process of knowing. I am presented with a meaningful witnessing experience. That simply is. That is, if we do not think about it in terms of representing anything, but rather simply take it for itself as itself, we are presented with a kind of foundational knowing. It is the case that I am witnessing the world now and am experiencing myself in my office. Regardless of any external truths, the subjective experience of being is true in itself for itself and can’t not be true on its own terms. It is kind of like Descartes’ inability to doubt that he did not exist. But is more basic. It is an epistemic ontic reality that is true on its own terms and can’t not be true. This relates to the “isness” claim. I just want to leave it here for now, though.

There are many different ways people can go with these insights and exploring the interrelations between them is valuable. My goal, however, with UTOK, is less of a deep dive into a particular stream of thinking, and more about obtaining the optimal grip on the ontology of mental processes, human mental behavior, and the psyche such that we solve the problem of psychology, both its objective science-behavior side and subjective psyche side, and collectively bridge the Enlightenment Gap with a descriptive metaphysics and metatheoretical understanding that is coherent and up to the task, enabling us to revitalize the human soul and spirit in the 21st Century.