TOK-SOCIETY-L Archives

December 2021

TOK-SOCIETY-L@LISTSERV.JMU.EDU

theory of knowledge society discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 1 Dec 2021 16:53:02 -0800
Let's say, I as a white man with small, sweaty hands, wanted to be a top
basketball player, or a rap artist.

It could be done.

The challenge isn't getting good at basketball itself, but breaking out of
my normal identity, into one that would test me inside and out.

Free of such tests, it would be a smooth process.

Math isn't difficult.
It's boring without sufficient incentive.

I contend that when a minority sits down to practice math or science, they
hear a discouraging voice from both sides - one about tribal loyalty, and
another a threat not to enter the game of the top tiers.

How to test it?

Put a camera to watch the eyes of (and EEG device onto their heads) various
people to practice things outside their conventional identity.

Eye movements indicative of processing social threat can be measured with
eeg measurements, and we can prove IQ is sociocultural, not biological.

We needn't lie about the data, but clarify it.