TOK-SOCIETY-L Archives

March 2021

TOK-SOCIETY-L@LISTSERV.JMU.EDU

From:
"Henriques, Gregg - henriqgx" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 16 Mar 2021 10:17:41 +0000
Hi Eric,

  I definitely agree that the ToK System does not solve or “fully explain” the measurement problem. I do not have nearly the expertise in quantum mechanics to make that claim.

  My claims are about the descriptive metaphysical context of the problem. The ToK provides a descriptive metaphysical system to place measurement, observation and propositional knowledge in the proper cosmic coordinates. It also, along with Roy Bhaskar’s ontological formulation, differentiates generative, actual and empirical aspects of the ontic reality (i.e., the time axis).

My primary claim is that when I listen to physicists, they don’t differentiate between these domains, but, according to the ToK System map of reality and science they should. For example, if you go to these two educational videos from Sean Carroll on quantum mechanics and entanglement (here<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BJlkkOIFjx4> and here<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yZ1KSJbJAng>), you will see that he lists “measurement” and “reality” as the two large classes of conceptual problems. Likewise, if you listen to the history of QM (like here<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=em7dkYZTetE>), it is obvious that there is much philosophical/conceptual confusion. And when I see Max Tegmark’s idealistic map of theories mapping reality, I feel confident they are missing a key perspective. Physics does not afford a theory of physicists.

The ToK maps these as the two vectors of what Carroll calls “reality” from the Big Bang on the time axis and what he calls “measurement” from the knower at science on top of the ToK in the Culture-Person plane of existence. The argument is that much of the confusion is, not unlike the problem of psychology, with background knowledge concepts about what is meant by what. That said, I unlike with psychology, I certainly lack the expertise to get into the weeds and disentangle the actual solution. Somewhat embarrassingly, I don’t even speak advanced math. So, I am surely not up to the task for much of the work that is needed to be done.