TOK-SOCIETY-L Archives

August 2020

TOK-SOCIETY-L@LISTSERV.JMU.EDU

From:
Cole Butler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 30 Aug 2020 16:48:02 -0400
Hi all,

Thanks for these excellent and well-thought out comments. Indeed, Lonny
highlights a critical point in regard to the notion of the value/utility of
immortality and the potential flaws with idealization of such an absurd
concept.

Certainly, with the reality-shattering potential of such technology
emerging we are shot at lightspeed into an entirely new domain of
existence. I think the potentiality of such technology in its positive
aspects also brings with it the negatives, e.g., misuse by bad actors,
propagation of cultural inequality, the painful reality of immortality and
the potential further loss of meaning inherent to that, and many more
issues - several of which I'm sure we cannot even dream to theorize about.

Anyway, I had wanted to bring this to this list to gather perspectives of
this type so that we may consider collectively the burdens of access to
such technology in advance of its application.

A couple of final notes..

Mr. Musk has proposed that, when developed further, people will be able to
increase productivity/efficiency by a 10-fold factor, and therefore we
could each take out a loan for one of these devices that would certainly be
paid back. However, I'm not sure people would want that in the way that
they think they'd want that.

I hope my excitement for the positives of this is not seen as pure
ignorance of the maladaptive potentialities that this technology may bring.
As I've said, I'm seeking your thoughts to highlight the potential
problems. This, for me, strikes the tune of several notes akin to that of
AI's potential for good and associated potential for bad. I don't think we
can reasonably conjecture that this tech will emerge with only negative
consequences, as that would be as ignorant as claiming that it would
produce only positive consequences - each viewpoint being fundamentally
wrong.

Thanks,

Cole Butler
Research Coordinator
Project Coordinator: Treating Parents with ADHD and their Children (TPAC
<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__umdadhd.org_ongoing-2Dprojects-2Dand-2Dfunding&d=DwIFaQ&c=eLbWYnpnzycBCgmb7vCI4uqNEB9RSjOdn_5nBEmmeq0&r=HPo1IXYDhKClogP-UOpybo6Cfxxz-jIYBgjO2gOz4-A&m=Jkw9CawiP5-nCI2BLL2-kQx9XBYtj-vJbercIXOk94E&s=ytHkkvyrMlCt3eMfLJaGRyDxjDDq8P611QrPNCtAQCA&e= >)
SUCCEEDS <https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__umdadhd.org_succeeds&d=DwIFaQ&c=eLbWYnpnzycBCgmb7vCI4uqNEB9RSjOdn_5nBEmmeq0&r=HPo1IXYDhKClogP-UOpybo6Cfxxz-jIYBgjO2gOz4-A&m=Jkw9CawiP5-nCI2BLL2-kQx9XBYtj-vJbercIXOk94E&s=NkBP6U_1NWlINYmFxPr79GEZDlbZJjhujyF_yPzsGl8&e= > Coach
University of Maryland
UMD ADHD Lab <https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.umdadhd.org_cole&d=DwIFaQ&c=eLbWYnpnzycBCgmb7vCI4uqNEB9RSjOdn_5nBEmmeq0&r=HPo1IXYDhKClogP-UOpybo6Cfxxz-jIYBgjO2gOz4-A&m=Jkw9CawiP5-nCI2BLL2-kQx9XBYtj-vJbercIXOk94E&s=PP3IfRry7CSKkj-eqSAyJTxJxbN_3nyP3-zNOj0-9gc&e= >
2103W, Cole Field House | College Park, MD 20742
tel 301.405.6163