TOK-SOCIETY-L Archives

April 2021

TOK-SOCIETY-L@LISTSERV.JMU.EDU

From:
michael kazanjian <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 22 Apr 2021 13:50:01 +0000

Hi Gregg:
Your taxonomy is most fascinating, and roughly parallels the first or second chapters in my Unified Philosophy: Interdisciplinary Metaphysics, Ethics, and Liberal Arts  (Cognella).   My taxonomy below is based on the ergonomic/human factors engineering model. It is also from cybernetics, and from mereology, etc.
My taxonomy is:
A or First,  mere reduction.  Mereologically, mere parts. Each part is totally isolated, unlimited in number and kind.   This appears parallel to your  First or A reduction. Only one reality.   Cybernetically, mere feedback, reality is totally outside the holistic.   Ergonomics calls this user-friendly.
B or Second, generally reducible.   Holistic parts.  Generally parts.  Limited number and kinds of parts.  Generally, not totally isolated.  This seems to include your B or second, C or third, maybe D or fourth.  One holistic, embodied, limited reality or pars.   Feedback/feedforward continuum or integration.   Philosophically, this is phenomenology rejecting Cartesian dualism.   This is user-friendly.   Art and science integrated; technology and humanity integrated.  This looks like your fine chapter on Fifth Joint Point?
C or Third,  dualism,   Part and whole are mutually distinct.  Descartes' Cartesian dualism.  Mind and body dualism.  Two realities.
D or Fourth,   postmodernism.  Many realities exist.  I don't know if your taxonomy has a postmodernism on it.  I have, however, seen in your writing that you reject postmodernism. So, maybe my first and fourth poles of my taxonomy are mere modernism, and mere wholes.   Mere wholes, mere feedfoward.   I get the feeling you and I (and others?) reject mere parts, and mere wholes;  mere feedback and mere feedforward.  This is user-too-friendly.
Thanks,
Regards,Michael M. Kazanjian