TOK-SOCIETY-L Archives

May 2019

TOK-SOCIETY-L@LISTSERV.JMU.EDU

From:
JOHN TORDAY <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 22 May 2019 13:07:09 -0400
Peter and TOK, I understand you are prepping for a talk over the next two
weeks, but didn't want to miss the opportunity to respond. Perhaps the
question of determinism/constraint v Free Will/Choice should be thought of
in the context of emerging evidence for epigenetic inheritance, i.e. direct
effects of the environment on the organism. Perhaps the most profound
effects in this context are on the endocrine system and on the mesoderm-
Lewis Wolpert has said that the most important thing you'll do in your life
is Gastrulate, the invagination of the embryo when the mesoderm is
introduced..... Both determinism/constraint and Free Will/choice
individually and combined have profound effects on behavior as the
composite of future actions. As I have said before, I think that we act
within the boundaries of both determinism/constraint and Free Will/choice,
so perhaps the answer to your question is that there is a range of
possibilities that is a function of both. Your thoughts? j