TOK-SOCIETY-L Archives

September 2021

TOK-SOCIETY-L@LISTSERV.JMU.EDU

From:
michael kazanjian <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 6 Sep 2021 23:31:29 +0000

Michael Mascolo:
Interesting insight. Have you heard of Paul Ricoeur.  He overcomes Cartesian dualism by "reintroducing mind into body."  I have an analogy.  Islands can be seen above water as isolated. Below water, they are emerging from the unifying land mass.  I distinguish as follows:
materialism     totally reducible       nothing irreduciblematerial          generally reducible      somewhat irreduciblemind vs body     and the anti material     totally irreducible
I have found a flaw in Gilbert Ryle's myth of Descartes, and the Oxford University example of the university totally reducible to the sum of buildings on campus.
Best,