TOK-SOCIETY-L Archives

August 2021

TOK-SOCIETY-L@LISTSERV.JMU.EDU

From:
michael kazanjian <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 1 Aug 2021 21:20:04 +0000
 Ali and All:
Spending all this time on the mobile is very disturbing to me.  Many years ago, about fifteen or more years ago, I was working at a university. I was on the second floor of a building, and had to pause about forty or fifty feet from a wall. I was in a hallway looking toward a wall, and the wall was part of a hallway perpendicular to the one in which I stood. A coworker happened to join me. We stood there talking. We noticed for ten minutes or so, two students sitting on the floor with their backs to the wall, looking at their mobiles. Suddenly, after ten or so minutes, they look up and toward each other. "Oh you're there?"   They had been "conversing" is that is the word, with each other, without.....without realizing they were just twenty or so feet apart. Sad. No one socializes, converses, or whatever anymore.     Michael M. K.