TOK-SOCIETY-L Archives

February 2020

TOK-SOCIETY-L@LISTSERV.JMU.EDU

From:
Chance McDermott <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 13 Feb 2020 19:02:50 -0600
Alexander,

Thank you for calling me out on that sentence, as I realize that my use of
the term "Logos" was unclear.

Logos in the way that Peterson utilizes comes across to me like an attempt
at reconciling internalized Christian beliefs with the nihilistic
implications of a secular and scientific view of the Universe.  He makes
the case that the Christ-figure is a perfect human ideal manifested as a
revelation through the processes of human speech.  He believes, or argues,
that the Logos is an objective, true, and persistent force in the Universe
that can be tapped into, received, and then followed.

Asking people to utilize executive functioning by thinking through the
consequences of their actions, considering others, or utilizing strategies
of reasoning to arrive at more helpful or accurate conclusions is related *but
not entirely what I understand Peterson to be saying*.  What Peterson
appears to be doing is appealing to the religious need or inclination in
others and linking that to the Jungian or Christian idea of Logos to
supercharge his narrative and make it more entertaining and compelling.  In
other words, he appears contained within a Western-Christian orb of mythos
from which his "logos" then operates, or he did quietly escape his own
mythos and then cynically monetized the insights from that journey to make
a living.

And to your other serious point, I imagine flirting with and exploiting
North-American propensities towards radical apocalyptic thinking *is* a
great way to attract 23-year-old boys.  One could convert many soft hippies
into appreciative, hard men.

The logical alternative at this point is most likely secular eco-fascism.
But we probably won't *feel* like doing that.

Big hugs,

-Chance