TOK-SOCIETY-L Archives

January 2022

TOK-SOCIETY-L@LISTSERV.JMU.EDU

From:
"Henriques, Gregg - henriqgx" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
theory of knowledge society discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 18 Jan 2022 10:25:48 +0000
Hi Nik,
  I would say that the things we observe are instances of ontic. More specifically, they are ontic-epistemic instances a pure awareness. We can think of Kant’s phenomena as the noumena. That is, the experience can be referenced as the thing-in-itself for itself (or however). What it can’t say is anything about anything else. That is, if I experience a coffee cup in front of me, that is a reality of experience. Indeed, we can use a variant of Cartesian foundationalism to say, “I experience….am is”. It seems to me that level of isness taken for itself is an instance of the ontic as I would define it.

  Now, this gets tricky relative to before because a common frame for the ontic is mind independent. I do not like that frame at all. Much better is that which exists independent of an external knower. A subtle but important difference.