TOK-SOCIETY-L Archives

September 2021

TOK-SOCIETY-L@LISTSERV.JMU.EDU

From:
Victor MacGill <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 6 Sep 2021 09:38:08 +1200
I have thought about it from the point of view of the speed limit. I
live in New Zealand. We have an open road limit of 100 km/hr that
results in around 300 death per year. If we reduced the limit to 80Km or
whatever, we know we would reduce the road death, but actually we have
determined that 300 deaths a year is acceptable for the convenience of
getting from place to place.

Another angle is that as numbers grow in a group, requisite variety
increases because there are more people with more skills, that creates
more and more opportunities for growth so we co-operate, form bigger
groups for the greater pay off, But, greater requisite variety also
means greater difference between the parts that means greater conflict.
Groups grow to the point of acceptable conflict - and the risk of
falling into deep conflict or violence, a point I call the edge of
conflict. Any creature not will to embrace an acceptable level of
conflict will be out competed by other creatures that will and lose fitness.

--
Victor MacGill PhD
https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.victormacgill.com&d=DwIDaQ&c=eLbWYnpnzycBCgmb7vCI4uqNEB9RSjOdn_5nBEmmeq0&r=HPo1IXYDhKClogP-UOpybo6Cfxxz-jIYBgjO2gOz4-A&m=EJi7L8KhhCymAlo3nBnJzIFQzDAN9WLCQW-3JY40EAg&s=r9UYdIAxzAjBzEcQX2-dI8zoaAVe9J9Uo6HWY8mGZqI&e=