TOK-SOCIETY-L Archives

April 2021

TOK-SOCIETY-L@LISTSERV.JMU.EDU

From:
Steven Quackenbush <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 Apr 2021 15:55:39 -0400
Hi Peter,

Yes, the "non-existent" in the quoted passage is the future *as such.  *In
the *Temporality* chapter, Sartre writes:

   - “The future is the lack which wrenches it as lack away from the
   in-itself of presence.  If Presence did not lack anything, it would fall
   back into being and would lose presence to being and acquire in exchange
   the isolation of complete identity.  It is lack as such which permits it to
   be presence”
   - “There is a Future because the For-itself [human reality] has to be
   its being instead of simply being it”

You write: "consciousness is an unending pursuit of itself, an amorphous
nothingness newly nascent with every thought."

Absolutely!   From B&N:

   - "Hence comes that ontological disillusion which awaits the For-itself
   at each emergence into the future…Even if my present is strictly identical
   in its content with the future toward which I projected myself beyond
   being, it is not this present toward which I was projecting myself; for I
   was projecting myself toward the future qua future”

On my reading, Sartre's "ontology of temporality" is consubstantial with
the problem of value.  It's also worth noting that the "nothingness"
referenced in the title of the book is neither abstract nor absolute.
Rather, it is a concrete negation of *this particular past *(that
ultimately takes the form of a story).  And *re-collection* is an effort to
consider aspects of the past (or what Sartre calls my "living past") in
relation to a future that *ought* to be.

~ Steve Q.