TOK-SOCIETY-L Archives

December 2017

TOK-SOCIETY-L@LISTSERV.JMU.EDU

From:
Parisa Montazeri <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Parisa Montazeri <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 24 Dec 2017 19:09:00 +0000

Hi Team ToK!
My name is Parisa and I'm a  former (but perpetual:) student of Gregg's.
I'm working as a contract clinical psychologist with the US Air Force (in England).
We work most with trauma, anxiety, and/or depression; but, what I think is neat, and hopeful, is that no matter the diagnosis, there are common things that connect us  all. In that: Power - the feeling of being competent, purposeful, and effective in our work and our ability to provide resources and safety; Love - being able to have relationships where we can laugh and love and feel loved and that we belong, and then to also be free of such connections. Meaning: Freedom - knowing life is a huge interconnected system, but also wanting to be free of this to some degree; feeling autonomous and that life is not just a series of obligations.

In all transparency, Love, Power, and Freedom are also what I did my dissertation on (Gregg's Influence Matrix), but I happen to believe in them and see them play out each day. I'm also interested in the mind-body connection, and how approaches such as functional medicine guide us to view people as whole and complex system that can heal (vs. diagnoses and symptoms). We live in a giant system, but we also are a giant system (inside:).

I've always appreciated Gregg giving us ways to conceptualize, whether it be cases, people, or the world. ToK/UTUA promises to be the ultimate in a grand way to think about... well... everything. But where do we start? Isn't a grand theory of everything a kind religion for scientists? In that, a narrative for how things have come to be, what are place is in the world, etc.?

What's a more concrete goal here? Do we think people will stop fighting and hurting each other as much if they had more of a bird's eye view of things? Or is stopping discontent not even the goal; but, rather, the goal is to not feel so alone if we understood how we're all connected in a larger narrative?

Happy Holidays gang, and I'm glad to be a part of this!:) Parisa