TOK-SOCIETY-L Archives

May 2021

TOK-SOCIETY-L@LISTSERV.JMU.EDU

From:
"Henriques, Gregg - henriqgx" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 3 May 2021 12:33:33 +0000
I definitely support this. Maybe we should set up a TOK Society meeting about it?

The fact that there is a unified psychology does afford us to set the stage for understanding the social sciences in a new light. Folks might have a look at this blog, which offers some reflections on the difference between the natural and human/social sciences: https://medium.com/unified-theory-of-knowledge/the-distinction-between-the-natural-and-social-sciences-as-found-in-the-vision-logic-of-the-tree-ea68ff57595e

A few basic thoughts are as follows:

Getting the relationship between psychology and the social sciences right entails the following:

First, there are four clear domains of social science, which are (a) anthropology; (b) sociology; (c) political science and (d) economics.

Second, we should be clear about the base of the social sciences. In UTOK, that base is “human psychology.” Human psychology is to the social sciences what neuroscience is to basic psychology. We should also look at sociobiology, which is part of basic psychology and explores how animals form social groups. Finally, (human) social psychology is the bridging field. It is akin to cognitive neuroscience, in that it is about the ways people influence each other.

Third, it seems some big domains of consideration, at least from a UTOK perspective are (just off the top of my head):

  *   Little ‘c’ culture, which involves how patterns of behavioral investment emerge and spread
  *   The matrix of social influence, which involves social perception, motives, networks of influence (power, love freedom)
  *   Capital C culture, which is the networks of justification that emerge and function to coordinate populations of people and generate web of understanding that humans are socialized into.
     *   (the first three are tied together by the UTOK in what I call human “JII Dynamics” or justification investment influence dynamics)
  *   Technology, which refers to the tools/material culture
  *   Economics, which refers to market exchange and capitol labor relations
  *   Institutions, which are assemblages of technologies, laws, economic, and political relations
  *   The biophysical ecological context
  *   The societal membrane and its inside structure and outside relations with other groups.

It is perhaps worth noting that the key ideas that make up UTOK started with an overview of the major paradigms in psychology and psychotherapy. It was only because I was immersed in them and got lucky with a couple of key insights that I was then able to “get above the paradigms” from a perch that allowed me to see them as mountains on an identifiable mountain range (or as blindmen relative to an elephant).

So, one idea is to start gathering up the paradigms in the social sciences to see if a map of insights could be generated.