TOK-SOCIETY-L Archives

October 2020

TOK-SOCIETY-L@LISTSERV.JMU.EDU

From:
easalien <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 28 Oct 2020 17:55:53 -0700
Hey Gregg,

Apologies for the delay. Life has been chaotic to say the least. Haven’t
had a chance to watch the second episode but hope to get to it soon. Sorry
to hear of the collaborative breakdown. Sure it would’ve generated some
interesting findings.

After I sent it, I thought the hypothetical riffing would get me in
trouble. You’re absolutely correct that language is pre-agrarian. I
erroneously suggested it’s a new phenomenon less than several thousand
years old. Mea culpa. However, I was more referring to that qualitative
shift you mentioned in cultural and technological metastasis. Lack of
clarity on my part.

The concepts of Mind2 and Mind3 are interesting in so far that they
distinguish between specialized human behaviors, but I’m still unsure
whether the difference is one of degrees or one of kind (I’ll watch the
Stoa episode if you addressed it there). The implication is the shift in
behavior is a fundamental sort of strong-emergence. This is debateable, as
we arguably share much more in common with other organisms than we care to
admit. The expressed phenotypical differences are governed by the same
genealogical building blocks. If that’s a misinterpretation, please let me
know.

Also, does Mind2 and Mind3 actually contribute to the Problem of
Psychology? We experience reality as a whole, and it seems these
higher-order functions further separate the mind instead of unifying it.
Just my impression.

Sincerely,
Eric