TOK-SOCIETY-L Archives

October 2020

TOK-SOCIETY-L@LISTSERV.JMU.EDU

From:
Joseph Michalski <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 31 Oct 2020 00:52:49 +0000
Thanks Deepak. Love the imagery and example you have used to describe homogeneity in relation to physical processes, including the example of the young people dancing and constrained ever more tightly by the rope. Extremely interesting image & implications. I'll just add that there's an important literature re: the cultural level of the ToK whereby in large-scale, ethnically diverse societies, there tends to be a great deal of "sorting" that goes on both in terms of cultural and economic factors. The empirically verifiable result? A fairly high degree of neighborhood segregation -- and "homogenization", or at least far more than one would expect based on mathematical probabilities. I will definitely be using your example, though, at least in teaching statistics next term to help bring some of the numbers "to life" (students love this sort of thing I find!). Thanks for sharing your insights, -Joe

Dr. Joseph H. Michalski

Professor

King’s University College at Western University

266 Epworth Avenue, DL-201

London, Ontario, Canada  N6A 2M3

Tel: (519) 433-3491

Email: [log in to unmask]