TOK-SOCIETY-L Archives

November 2020

TOK-SOCIETY-L@LISTSERV.JMU.EDU

From:
Nicholas Lattanzio <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 28 Nov 2020 11:24:58 -0600
Well Gregg, that does appear to be the question doesn't it? I imagine the
1st-person perspective equivalent to what you're describing as me being
able to see in all directions, and based on what is perceived make attempts
to look at itself by those same perceptual processes. Like the hole in a
donut trying to see itself as the donut and the hole simultaneously.
Although you may not be satisfied with my answer, which of course comes
from a nondual perspective, I hope you can see the value of the position I
take in finding an answer from the position you take, I believe therein
lies the key, a sort of nondual empiricism.

But I think we'd agree that the situation you've described is our current
state of affairs (i.e, literally all of your work to systematize knowledge
and more). I think that this kind of barrier is in our definition of
ourselves. "We" can't get that view as individual human beings or forms of
life. The systems, ecological and otherwise, that allow life to exist also
can't get that view. They are two sides of the same coin, and we are that
coin. We are that unknown knower. I am this (a human, secondarily
identified as "Nik") so that I can know that (apparently external reality),
and I am that (the reality) so that I can know/be this (the apparently
separate individual human identified as "Nik"). To define my existence
according to only what I am conscious of or can be made conscious of (our
existing knowledge systems) doesn't appreciate the limitations of the human
organism, nor does it give credence to the omnipotence of existence itself.

I was free writing about this earlier in thinking about Is-Ought, I figure
I'll format into an essay but I've attached it below. It may better address
your question if I am understanding it correctly. Quite a
thought-provoking discussion!

Regards,

Nicholas G. Lattanzio, Psy.D.