TOK-SOCIETY-L Archives

February 2021

TOK-SOCIETY-L@LISTSERV.JMU.EDU

From:
"Henriques, Gregg - henriqgx" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 15 Feb 2021 12:01:38 +0000
Thanks for this, Nik.

Those of us who have worked in the “bowels” of our treatment facility see the brutal realities of those who fall through the cracks and then are ground up by the system. I found the DSM, if taken as a literal medical diagnosis, quite laughable. What happens really is that the “developmental nest” has many holes in it and many people fall through. And that shows up in many ways, as you note.

  I even wanted to propose a new category, which I did a blog on:
https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/theory-knowledge/201508/pervasive-adult-developmental-disorder

  Note, I termed it Pervasive Adult Developmental Disorder. The emphasis should be on development and the failure of society to afford the necessary structures that enable it, as opposed to the individual’s problems being reducible to “broken biology”.