TOK-SOCIETY-L Archives

April 2018

TOK-SOCIETY-L@LISTSERV.JMU.EDU

From:
Nancy Link <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 17 Apr 2018 19:49:26 +0000
Dear John,

I, like you and I suspect all of us, have a strong regard for and use scientific data. It is just that I see it as necessary but not sufficient for the building of knowledge.  The question is what is the piece that is missing?

It seems to me that, you and I are both trying to understand the human psyche using fairly traditional concepts, you the principles of physiology  and me learning theory and child development theory. I see our thinking as similar in that we are both trying to figure out a way to put rather hard-nosed scientific data together into a meaningful narrative structure.

My question was more aimed at Gregg, who is building a model of all knowledge. In his model, the connections between the elements seem more obscure. I was wondering what his model of knowledge building is. Perhaps, I should not have used the word “intuition” — too global and too inflammatory?

Cheers,
Nancy