TOK-SOCIETY-L Archives

July 2020

TOK-SOCIETY-L@LISTSERV.JMU.EDU

From:
Michael Mascolo <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 22 Jul 2020 11:29:52 -0400
Hi Cole and Others:

It seems that things have not changed.  I recall having exactly the type of clinical/human versus experimental/arid conversations back then.  Except back then I was the arid experimentalist being challenged by the humanity of the clinicians.

In my opinion, it is not possible for psychology — as currently configured — to provide the types of meanings that motivated you to seek it out as a path to personal or collective development.  This is because, well, it seeks to define itself in the image of the natural sciences.  The second one does this, one must confront the fact/value dichotomy.  If psychology is an objective science, then al it gives us facts or theories that are validated or not validated by “objective facts”.  If this is so, then psychology can only tell us “what is” (“facts”) and not what "ought to be” — that is, how we should live (“values”).

Psychologists often think that psychological science can help us learn to lead better lives.  In my view, this is because of a deep and collective inability to deal with the facts/value distinction.  Psychological research is saturated with value judgments that masquerade as theoretical constructs.  Take, for example, the study of, say, “self-esteem” or “social competence”.  “Self-esteem” and “social competence” are not a value-free constructs — they are value-laden concepts where the value is either unacknowledged or assumed as “natural”.  In this way, our psychological constructs are organized by values that are ushered in through the back door.  When this happens, our studies don’t tell us what makes life good — a conception of goodness is already built into the study before it is even conducted.  We simply reconstitute it in the research.  That’s why “positive psychology” is now “discovering” (!!!) new findings that are older than Aristotle.  Because his philosophy predated them talked by 2500 years.

Psychology likes to think that as a science, it’s on the “fact” side of the fact/value dichotomy.  In my view, in the social sciences, what we call facts and values mutually constitute each other.  If we want meaning, we can’t look to facts that we pretend are separate from values; we have to identify and reflect upon the values themselves, and how values and empirical findings inform each other.  If one wants meaning, one cannot escape the primacy of the collaborative reflection on values.

Again, if you’ve gotten this far, thanks for reading.

Mike

Michael F. Mascolo, Ph.D.
Academic Director, Compass Program
Professor, Department of Psychology
Merrimack College, North Andover, MA 01845
978.837.3503 (office)
978.979.8745 (cell)

Political Conversations Study: www.CreatingCommonGround.org <https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.creatingcommonground.org_&d=DwIFaQ&c=eLbWYnpnzycBCgmb7vCI4uqNEB9RSjOdn_5nBEmmeq0&r=HPo1IXYDhKClogP-UOpybo6Cfxxz-jIYBgjO2gOz4-A&m=AHufKL1vDL-JGrNMqHFCAzTTduxQsC7UKENNe9bDzLE&s=sG-pqF0Gpyc7z-SjblM0t0smaFhXXjqDxRIPCOlivb4&e= >
Blog: Values Matter <https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.psychologytoday.com_us_blog_values-2Dmatter&d=DwIFaQ&c=eLbWYnpnzycBCgmb7vCI4uqNEB9RSjOdn_5nBEmmeq0&r=HPo1IXYDhKClogP-UOpybo6Cfxxz-jIYBgjO2gOz4-A&m=AHufKL1vDL-JGrNMqHFCAzTTduxQsC7UKENNe9bDzLE&s=gYLNOkI0lht3cw6mweJb3v4omFVUnPlKZ5DaFRiBw_Y&e= >
Journal: Pedagogy and the Human Sciences <https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__scholarworks.merrimack.edu_phs_&d=DwIFaQ&c=eLbWYnpnzycBCgmb7vCI4uqNEB9RSjOdn_5nBEmmeq0&r=HPo1IXYDhKClogP-UOpybo6Cfxxz-jIYBgjO2gOz4-A&m=AHufKL1vDL-JGrNMqHFCAzTTduxQsC7UKENNe9bDzLE&s=_Y4z7GkhxXVIN5mF1QV4JK9SbIEsRvFYn8fdOVgSjXA&e= > <http:/>
Coaching and Author Website: www.michaelmascolo.com <https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.michaelmascolo.com_&d=DwIFaQ&c=eLbWYnpnzycBCgmb7vCI4uqNEB9RSjOdn_5nBEmmeq0&r=HPo1IXYDhKClogP-UOpybo6Cfxxz-jIYBgjO2gOz4-A&m=AHufKL1vDL-JGrNMqHFCAzTTduxQsC7UKENNe9bDzLE&s=DQMpKf4au-FCo00a7UEbP6jEljlQhrC9qmvT8Xaqu4I&e= >
Academia Home Page: https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__merrimack.academia.edu_MichaelMascolo&d=DwIFaQ&c=eLbWYnpnzycBCgmb7vCI4uqNEB9RSjOdn_5nBEmmeq0&r=HPo1IXYDhKClogP-UOpybo6Cfxxz-jIYBgjO2gOz4-A&m=AHufKL1vDL-JGrNMqHFCAzTTduxQsC7UKENNe9bDzLE&s=wMS7m3QiVfGb4Cg0myPbuOshaKFwxpNV_jxDP5kYjvk&e=  <https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__merrimack.academia.edu_MichaelMascolo&d=DwIFaQ&c=eLbWYnpnzycBCgmb7vCI4uqNEB9RSjOdn_5nBEmmeq0&r=HPo1IXYDhKClogP-UOpybo6Cfxxz-jIYBgjO2gOz4-A&m=AHufKL1vDL-JGrNMqHFCAzTTduxQsC7UKENNe9bDzLE&s=wMS7m3QiVfGb4Cg0myPbuOshaKFwxpNV_jxDP5kYjvk&e= >
"Things move, persons act." -- Kenneth Burke
"If it's not worth doing, it's not worth doing well." -- Donald Hebb