TOK-SOCIETY-L Archives

October 2020

TOK-SOCIETY-L@LISTSERV.JMU.EDU

From:
easalien <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 6 Oct 2020 15:00:30 -0700
Michael,

Regarding your initial question, there doesn’t seem to be much distinction
between “Awareness” and “Consciousness.” Any definition that uses words
like sense, perception, knowledge, or understanding, is guilty of
self-referencing (they all mean the same thing). That’s the problem, we
don’t have the language to adequately discuss the problem. However, maybe
therein lies the solution.

Instead of defining consciousness—and forcing the data to retroactively fit
that definition—identifying its constituent parts first organically leads
to its definition. Based on my findings, consciousness is itself a
language, a means of communicating and interacting. How can you be aware of
something if meaningful information isn’t exchanged?

Just as Physics, Chemistry, and Biology are effectively descriptions of
specialized relationships, Consciousness is another type of relationship
between you and your personal history, i.e. Memory. As individuals with
unique stores of memory, we naturally interpret the world through a
combination of genetic predisposition (G) and operant/classical
conditioning (E). In the Mosaic Model,  this insurmountable
epistemic/ontological gap constitutes an event horizon. Memories themselves
acquire symbolic significance as a function of comparison, i.e. Relativity
of Experience (solution to Hard Problem).

By analogizing consciousness to a black hole, it may resolve outstanding
interpretational problems in Physics, such as the observer’s role in
Quantum Mechanics and Hubble-Schwarzschild Equivalence. However, referring
back to the initial question, it also provides a relatively
straight-forward definition:

Consciousness (n): the means by which an object communicates/interacts with
its surroundings via absolute non-relativistic Potential; realized by mode
of Spontaneous Symmetry Breaking, e.g. Big Bang; analogous to a black hole;
Mind/Body Separation as event horizon

Eric