TOK-SOCIETY-L Archives

October 2019

TOK-SOCIETY-L@LISTSERV.JMU.EDU

From:
Helen Wu <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 11 Oct 2019 16:22:42 -0500
I just want to say that I really really appreciate the diversity of
perspectives on this topic. I have been in too many echo chambers and this
is quite refreshing. It does feel like we are all grasping at a part of the
elephant here and it will take such a long time to learn enough about
different ideas to come to some cross-paradigmatic model that takes into
account different levels of reality. This has been a humbling experience
for me.

As someone who grew up in a working class setting, I relate to Alexander's
point that sometimes intellectuals don't get it and are out of touch with
real life problems. Yet, now that I got my PhD and am feeling more and more
like an "expert" as the years go by, I believe I have something to
contribute to society at large. I think the key is an open mind and
continuous dialogue between different groups of people.

Best,
Helen