TOK-SOCIETY-L Archives

August 2018

TOK-SOCIETY-L@LISTSERV.JMU.EDU

From:
"Henriques, Gregg - henriqgx" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 7 Aug 2018 14:41:21 +0000
The UPENN piece is another connection I have wondered about.

The clinician in me has pieced together how he rationalized/justified what he was doing:

As folks here know, my primary focus and frame re the JH is on self-consciousness and culture. Mercier is a cognitive scientist who focuses on “cognition.” (An interesting side conversation might focus on the relation between these two concepts).

And he lives in cognitive science circles that are different from mine. So, the “reason-giving” that Mercier went through in his how mind was: “Here is an interesting idea. But it really is on a totally different topic, and the experts in my field don’t know about it and it really is not relevant because we do cognitive science stuff and Henriques is out there promoting his crazy theory to god knows who.” Of course, as his initial denial suggests, he knows  this doesn’t fly in the real world of argumentation and legitimacy, but the self-consciousness system is designed for some deception 😊.

The dynamics of how this rationalization took hold becomes clearer when we consider Dan Sperber’s character structure. A dominant alpha male who is so confident his thoughts are the cutting edge that he has no need to review the literature. Thus, Mercier ingratiates himself to the dominant male, and plants seeds with Sperber that human reason is really about justification. Sperber has been in the general ballpark of such notions, and his arrogance allows him to think he came up with the idea and boom, you have book. A book that claims a new theory of human cognition is that we have a cognitive mechanism that functions to “help us justify our beliefs and actions to others, convince them through argumentation, and evaluate the justifications and arguments that others address to us” (from the book summary).
Pretty unbelievable indeed.