TOK-SOCIETY-L Archives

May 2018

TOK-SOCIETY-L@LISTSERV.JMU.EDU

From:
Chance McDermott <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 21 May 2018 14:38:25 -0400
Hi Corrine, thank you for your post about art and metamodernism.

I may have heard you make the point that the individual oscillations
between modernism and post-modernism are not always predictable or
consistent.  "the pendulum swinging between 2, 3, 5, 10, innumerable poles"

From a psychological perspective, it would make sense that art would become
more mercurial during a global negotiation for social narrative.
Psychologically speaking, the absence of a grand narrative is disorienting
and demotivating.  It seems like the metamodern artists reflect the paradox
of needing to move but with nowhere in particular to be or go.

-Chance