TOK-SOCIETY-L Archives

April 2018

TOK-SOCIETY-L@LISTSERV.JMU.EDU

From:
JOHN TORDAY <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 4 Apr 2018 12:50:29 -0700
Gregg, I enjoyed reading your post, thank you. I tried commenting but was
rejected by he spam filter......perhaps I should take the hint, but with
all due respect to you and the filter, here's what i tried to say (see
below). Perhaps you could post it for me if you see value added?

"In the New Yorker article referenced by Professor Henriques, Andy Clark,
the subject of the article, mentioned the relationship of body to mind in
conversation with Kurt Friston, the British Neurologist. Perhaps the Mind
is the aggregate memory of the evolutionary history of the organism, all
the way back to the Singularity/Big Bang? So what we think of as
consciousness is actually referencing the vertical evolution of physiology
from the unicellular state to Man, and everything in between. That would
account for both the mundane function of the brain, just like all other
physiologic organs, but also encompass the extra-corporeal aspect of mind
that Clark thinks is relevant. What he is talking about iactually a new
concept in ecology called Niche Construction- how earthworms remodel the
soil to accommodate their aquatic kindneys; beavers build dams; Man builds
villages, towns, cities, states and nations- "First there were bacteria,
Now there is New York (Simon Conway Morris). Elsewhere, I have hypothesized
that unicellular organisms were the first Niche Construction, internalizing
the environment in the process of Endogenization that ultimately gave rise
to physiology, body and mind alike. If the environment and the biota both
were the products of the Singularity/Big Bang, then perhaps what we think
of as mind is the anthropomorphizing of the Cosmos. This perspective may
explain the 'hard question' (David Chalmers) as to why we see red when we
hit our thumb with a hammer, or why there are no bad color schemes in
Nature."

TBC