TOK-SOCIETY-L Archives

May 2019

TOK-SOCIETY-L@LISTSERV.JMU.EDU

From:
Steven Quackenbush <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 9 May 2019 13:44:14 -0400
Regarding the evolution of cultural justification systems, Kohlberg's
(1977) comments may be of interest to this group:

   - "Historical and cross-cultural evidence supports the notion of a
   long-range moral evolutionary trend on the societal level"

The attached table documents Kohlberg's approach to assessing "cultural
stages of legal systems" (that align loosely with the stages detailed in
his account of the "ontogenesis of justice reasoning").

But, as Kohlberg (1977) also observes, "Watergate reminds us that the Stage
5 social contract still waits for the majority to evolve."

The source is a chapter entitled "The Future of Liberalism as the Dominant
Ideology of the Western World" (included in Kohlberg's anthology, *The
Philosophy of Moral Development*).

~ Steve Q.

On Thu, May 9, 2019 at 12:59 PM Henriques, Gregg - henriqgx <
[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Fascinating thoughts, Jamie. Thanks for sharing them. I agree that
> evolutionary epistemology is a good way to study the evolution of culture
> and ideas. I also think that the competition for the most justifiable ideas
> is an interesting and useful frame for thinking about how things like
> philosophies and scientific knowledge and laws generally evolve. Of course,
> the context, resources and the subconscious forces like drives for power
> and influence play a huge role in what a particular group legitimizes.
> Working out those dynamics is a very important enterprise in the social
> sciences.
>
> Best,
> Gregg

Steven W. Quackenbush, Ph.D., Chair
Division of Psychology & Human Development
University of Maine, Farmington
Farmington, ME 04938
(207) 778-7518