TOK-SOCIETY-L Archives

December 2021

TOK-SOCIETY-L@LISTSERV.JMU.EDU

From:
Brandon Norgaard <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
theory of knowledge society discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 1 Dec 2021 15:30:53 -0800
That's awesome, thanks Lee!

Some thoughts:

*	I can see how the vertical axis lines up with the Influence Matrix
in a way similar to how Waldamar explained in a graphic shared with this
list a few days ago, wherein he showed it was closely related to the upper
vs. lower quadrants of Integral Theory.  This individual vs. group dynamic
keeps popping up in all kinds of places.
*	It is unclear what is the crux of the distinction between
revolutionary and evolutionary approaches.  We might start with the
overarching assumption among probably all of these approaches that there is
a very high likelihood of negative large-scale impacts in the not-to-distant
future.  That assumption is baked into the acknowledgement of the
meta-crisis.  I'm interpreting your revolution vs. evolution dichotomy as
hinging upon whether people in that camp want active interventions in an
effort to make serious course-corrections or whether they want incremental
change through a series of mini-interventions that would be informed by
feedback from the prior mini-interventions.  Evolutionary approaches, I
suppose, don't have a grand strategy, or at least there is an assumption
that there are natural forces driving this whole thing and the best we can
do would be to make adjustments that might have a large-scale impact down
the line, but not in a way we can foresee ahead of time.  Is this accurate,
partially accurate?  Or perhaps am I really just misinterpreting?
*	Isn't doomer defeatist more of an individual thing rather than
institutional?
*	I find myself agreeing more so with the approaches closer to the
center and less with those further out in one direction or another.  As I
see it, we need a more balanced approach.

-Brandon