TOK-SOCIETY-L Archives

October 2018

TOK-SOCIETY-L@LISTSERV.JMU.EDU

From:
Mark Stahlman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 9 Oct 2018 06:09:00 -0600
ToKers:

Let me try this one more time (before I leave this list to its own ends) . . .

The "Elephant in the Parlor" (famous for not being understood as an
elephant, since those "feeling" it can only describe the tail, or
trunk, or ear) is *digital* technology.  This elephant is the cause of
the rest of our lives.

This technology has been the daily life-environment for *all* of us
for the past 20+ years.  I was led to believe that this is the crucial
"Fifth Joint-Point" in Gregg's "system" -- yet no one on this list has
been discussing it, as-if we still lived in "Kansas."  While that's
not surprising, it certainly is disappointing.

This list has experts in biology, psychology, sociology, meme-ology &c
and yet no one wants to talk about the elephant.  Might Gregg's
"Justification Hypothesis" explain that otherwise-odd (and
self-defeating) behavior?

In a Dec. 1968 letter to Pierre Trudeau, the then-new Prime Minister
of Canada, Marshall McLuhan had this to say --

“My forte is structural analysis of new problems and environments
that, unawares to us, re-program our sensory lives. In effect, I am
saying that it is now possible to by-pass what used to be called
‘fate’ by anticipating the effects of new man-made environments.”

Today we are being whacked upside-the-head by one of those "new
problems and environments."  Today our "sensory lives" are being
"re-programmed" (and we are "unawares.")  Today, whether we will be
subjected to our "fate" (or not) is being decided.

So, what will we do about it . . . ??

Mark