TOK-SOCIETY-L Archives

March 2022

TOK-SOCIETY-L@LISTSERV.JMU.EDU

From:
Alexis Kenny <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
theory of knowledge society discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 14 Mar 2022 21:40:18 -0600
Brad,

I really enjoyed your didactic seminar! I feel like I should be getting
some CEUs for watching it! Very thorough, concise, and informative. A bit
heady...and it's hard not to be with this kind of content. I'd be
interested to hear how your staff received the presentation.

Took a few notes and some screenshots of helpful diagrams you offered:

- 13:00-15:00(ish) = lovely summarization of what happens when we lack a
meta-narrative (in relation to destabilization, postmodernity,
(de)constructionism, etc.)

- 20:00-23:00(ish) = "Our media ecology is so profoundly unhealthy" +
details + implications + propaganda vs. education

- "A racialized environment leads to a racialized self."

- "Ultimately the goal is equality of social power and the development of
personal power."

Please keep sharing the content you're generating. I find it particularly
meaningful.

Received with love,

Ali

El mar, 8 mar 2022 a la(s) 10:01, Brad Kershner ([log in to unmask])
escribió:

> *CAUTION: *This email originated from outside of JMU. Do not click links
> or open attachments unless you recognize the sender and know the content is
> safe.
> ------------------------------
> Hi Greg,
>
> Thanks for listening! Yes, definitely just a broad intro. Kind of an
> opening lecture for what will be a long (never ending?) series of more
> intimate conversations. The feedback was mostly positive, though I
> think many were just overwhelmed. I think many in this community have a
> desire for a more spiritual, transcendent vision and approach, which is
> what I am trying to tap into. And even for those who are more oriented
> toward a woke perspective, it is hard to argue with the research and the
> loving intention that I am trying to convey, so my hope (and sense) is that
> it allows them to pause and perhaps engage future conversations with more
> humility and less of a sense of 'we know what we think and we need to do
> xyz' when xyz are taken from Kendi or Hannah-Jones or activist college
> students, etc.
>
> So I'll be continuing to think about what those next conversations can
> look like, and how to create a space and micro-culture for honest dialogue
> and inquiry, which is really the main thing. The biggest impediment is
> people having trepidation about actually thinking and discussing things
> openly, so I'm doing my best to promote that as transparently as I can.
>
> Thanks again for your time and attention - it is much appreciated. If you
> ever want to chat to dive deeper into this with me as I stumble along, let
> me know!
>
> Brad
>

> On Tue, Mar 8, 2022 at 8:14 AM Greg Thomas <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>
>> *CAUTION: *This email originated from outside of JMU. Do not click links
>> or open attachments unless you recognize the sender and know the content is
>> safe.
>> ------------------------------
>> Hi Brad,
>>
>> Since you mentioned me explicitly, I'll share a few thoughts about your
>> DEI-via-evolutionary-lens talk.
>>
>> As a student of the developmental bio-pyscho-social-spiritual models you
>> reference, I found it to be a very good overview. If this was the
>> introductory lesson to a series of lectures on DEI, I'd give it an A. But
>> it's mainly an introduction to the evolution of consciousness and culture,
>> not a deep dive into its application on the ground in organizations.
>>
>> It's a beautiful view at the 10,000 foot level; but how to apply these
>> general frameworks into the day-to-day interactions of people in
>> organizations is where the rubber meets the road.
>>
>> No doubt, Brad, you've given your Waldorf colleagues the basis for an
>> advance in their "perspectival" knowing. But John Vervaeke's procedural,
>> propositional, and participatory ways of knowing would need to be, in
> [...]

*Alexis (Ali) Kenny*, PsyD, LP
Staff Psychologist
*LeaderWise <https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.leaderwise.org_ali-2Dkenny&d=DwIFaQ&c=eLbWYnpnzycBCgmb7vCI4uqNEB9RSjOdn_5nBEmmeq0&r=HPo1IXYDhKClogP-UOpybo6Cfxxz-jIYBgjO2gOz4-A&m=zVELQPwjGIQAXLFIA9lHM3RFkYM0oFGd8D4-yONzdd0&s=12L4CurHSGMiWUlT6XcMl281UFjvJFoN-VXAxa38HbU&e= >*
email: [log in to unmask]
phone: 406.540.3411
site: alexisckenny.wix.com/marriedinmission