TOK-SOCIETY-L Archives

May 2020

TOK-SOCIETY-L@LISTSERV.JMU.EDU

From:
Joseph Michalski <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 18 May 2020 13:23:29 +0000
Greetings Colleagues. Thanks, Cory, for your observations and assessments, which offer some important challenges to consider both for those committed to the ToK perspective and certainly beyond. Since I might be the only sociologist on the list - and one who was "socialized" in a radically anti-psychology environment as a PhD student all those years ago - I can offer a few insights from my own discipline and the problems Cory addresses and to which Gregg has responded in part. In the spirit of that Hegelian dialectic that emerges only slowly through this type of unilateral email exchange, I offer merely a few reflections of the problem of synthesis that has plagued my own discipline - and that sheds light on both Cory's and Gregg's comments. Using Cory's analysis as my "organizing" scheme, here are a few thoughts from sociology....

Paradigms & Moderating Syntheses

As in psychology, sociology has been inundated with paradigms and often incompatible in terms of mission, science, and just about everything else. If psychology has been a "problem child" from the lack of common perspectives and shared understanding of the subject matter, sociology should be considered not just a "problem child" but a veritable "juvenile delinquent"! I've attached one of my papers that merely assesses the diversity of sociological perspectives in Canadian sociology, but the analysis applies much more broadly.  At the core are entirely different ways of framing and thinking about the "purpose" of sociology and social science, to say nothing of the multitude of dominant theoretical perspectives within the different overarching paradigms. In effect, sociology has dominant schools of thought associated with "the good, the true, and the beautiful" (critical, positive, & interpretive paradigms), as well as the post-modernist orientation. And this doesn't even begin to address the methodological & epistemological diversity that accompanies. So, almost no one even tries at any kind of meaningful "synthesis" any longer. There are a few "grand theorists" still trying to convince people of the profundity of their perspectives, but mostly a "live and let live" approach where sociologists just live and work in their separate worlds, publish in their own specialty journals, and there's VERY little coordinated understanding of the subject matter even within the same departments. About the only thing you'll get most sociologists to agree on has little to do with "science" in the classical sense: the commitment to "social justice." If you don't believe me, just ask the next sociologist you encounter what he/she/they define as the fundamental "social forces" that govern human social behavior. Do that 3 or 4 times with different sociologists, compare - and enjoy!

Unpredictable Outcomes

"It's not enough for just one person to have a multi perspective point of view, you need to have everybody who's participating have a multi perspective point of view. For all cases of all individuals who participate, they must all recognize the importance of everyone's point of view being equally essential." Further to my point above, you can rarely get even members of the same rather intimate department to agree on recognizing "everyone's point of view being equally essential." And I don't mean this is the naively relativistic way that "everyone's perspective is equally valid." That's simply "not true." But, in sociology, it's "not true" because there's literally neither common ontological ground nor common epistemological ground from which to consider one another's views. It's not just that sociologists are touching different parts of the proverbial elephant, they cannot even agree that one should "touch any part of the elephant" as a legitimate means of evaluating and describing - to say nothing of explaining - the creature in question. But this links to another problem with which Cory, Gregg, and presumably most people on this list would be aware:  cognitive bias (and the many manifestations of that concept).

Lack of Cases

"So you have people entering in ideas and expecting them to be equally valid, that are not at principled or paradigmatic stage coordination. Of course their point of you is valid, but it's highly contextual to the circumstance of their cognitive deficiencies, which they ultimately do not have the cognitive abilities to fully grasp in the bigger picture." It's "worse" than that. Many in sociology view anyone NOT using their perspective to be morally suspect if not entirely deficient. There are deep-seated hostilities that divide the "community" of sociology that long ago led to many nasty divorces. I thought maybe the next generation of sociologists would have overcome or moved beyond the trappings of the old "paradigm wars," but this does not appear to be the case. There's little if ANY commitment to shared "meaning- making" or efforts aimed at any kind of modern synthesis. Hence the departments & their curricula reflect these divides, with some tilted heavily or even exclusively in one direction or another. My favorite example is "Brock University's Dept of Sociology", which is unapologetically and completely dedicated to "critical sociology" as THE only sociology paradigm worth pursuing. Cognitive bias on steroids, or the ultimate expression of authoritarian intellectualism. No other perspectives even need to be considered.

And, to keep this from turning into a full-blown dissertation, let me sum up the rest of the problem to which Cory alludes in his other sections in the following way. Yes, there's, a lack of scaffolding designed to help build up people's cognitive & intellectual - and I would argue their emotional - capacities to view the world and their subject matter as amenable to a more consilient, integrated viewpoint. I've asked Gregg on many occasions simply what other mainstream psychologists think about the ToK and the unified theory approach, etc. He has stated in various ways that most, as Cory implies, simply do not consider these issues. More broadly, w/ sociology and most disciplines, we're trained instead to "believe" in and to invest in specific theories and approaches (true of physics and the other sciences too) - and that's how we "build our careers." We are taught to commit to the tenets of our "religion", literally, just like we are taught our own "religion." I do not recall a priest EVER mentioning Judaism or Islam or Hinduism or anything else during the hundreds of masses I attended as a Catholic growing up. Some mentions of Protestantism and other aspects of Christianity, but not much else. And, of course, that's the whole point of "indoctrination" into a school of thinking. But it's even deeper. Ask me to think deeply like a person who grew up on mainland China who speaks only Mandarin. I cannot do that. I can perhaps learn Mandarin, but that will be difficult much later in life and I will only really have more of an "etic" perspective rather than an "emic" perspective. Apply that to what people have learned in their fields - and then add to that the fact that most built their careers "thinking" and "researching" and "proving" their perspectives, and you see the problem. Sure, give people scaffolding, encourage the open-mindedness, work toward genuine dialogue, etc. But where does that happen in everyday life or everyday graduate training or everyday leaning of one's language, religion, etc.? It can happen on this list-serve, for example, but this is the exception. There's a reason that you don't see many (any?) other sociologists participating here. It's not only "hard", but nearly impossible for most sociologists to look beyond their own cognitive biases, their own language, and their own social contexts to imagine things like the ToK.

To Cory's final point: "models like the tree of knowledge system should be common place in the world. They should be the standard. But they're not. And this is why." I've hopefully elaborated upon the "why" beyond Cory's observations with my reflections of the limits of sociology and my own analogies with respect to cognitive biases and the "languages" and "worlds" into which we are socialized. And I'm not even addressing the many other aspects of the human condition from authoritarian systems of control to the normal curve of the distribution of intelligence to the fact that billions of people on the planet still live in conditions of poverty & struggle to survive, to the tremendous cultural diversity that stems from the linguistic & historical diversity to which I've alluded. But, all that said, there are chances for progress along these fronts at critical junctures such as the present moment when things are disrupted so dramatically & people have time to reflect more on their perspective & their lives. The most optimism, though, comes from the younger folks - those who are not "fully formed" and who are still open to new ideas. People my age? Not so much. On the other hand, I'm far more optimistic when I engage in almost any discussion with any of our own five boys, aged 23-30. They're not "PhDs" or doctors or lawyers or "intellectuals." They're just university grads (literally, not post graduate training for any of them) who are genuinely "nice guys" who care, work hard, will talk to anyone, and who want to be a "part of the solution", whatever that might look like. They are curious and yet humble. And that's mainly what I see with the university students I teach too. And they're so open to new ideas and new ways of thinking about the 21st century. Okay, enough from this "old guy" (sorry, just had my birthday and realized I'm almost 60!). With kind regards, -Joe

Dr. Joseph H. Michalski

Professor, Department of Sociology

King’s University College at Western University

266 Epworth Avenue, DL-201

London, Ontario, Canada  N6A 2M3

Tel: (519) 433-3491

Email: [log in to unmask]