TOK-SOCIETY-L Archives

May 2019

TOK-SOCIETY-L@LISTSERV.JMU.EDU

From:
Brent Allsop <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 17 May 2019 12:30:28 -0600
Hi John,

“Harm, wounding, and injury, are all abstract labels for functions or
behaviors, devoid of any physical qualities.  These abstract behaviors can
be independent of substrate and physical qualities.  For example, you could
have harm to a real leg, and destruction of an artificial leg.  Knowledge
of such can also be qualitatively and physically different.  For example,
your knowledge of blood would have your redness physical quality, but my
knowledge, or knowledge of an engineered inverted copy of your brain, could
have equally functional knowledge of blood and "harm" that has what you
would now call a physical greenness quality.  In other words, only thinking
of colors, and words like “Harm, wounding, and injury” in these abstract
away from physical qualities ways is qualia blind.

If you are interested in being more rigorous about understanding of
physical qualities, and not being qualia blind, it would really help if you
would read this paper: “Objectively, We are Blind to Physical Qualities
<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__docs.google.com_document_d_1uWUm3LzWVlY0ao5D9BFg4EQXGSopVDGPi-2DlVtCoJzzM_edit-3Fusp-3Dsharing&d=DwIFaQ&c=eLbWYnpnzycBCgmb7vCI4uqNEB9RSjOdn_5nBEmmeq0&r=HPo1IXYDhKClogP-UOpybo6Cfxxz-jIYBgjO2gOz4-A&m=FBaLK4i0s1qauHg60LfHhqtgj8BqbS7CYKTEEY3i3t8&s=mFNcQdmgXzYmTu9uWKouaz3kGO33AZIu7EyMhr4lF4E&e=>
”.