TOK-SOCIETY-L Archives

February 2021

TOK-SOCIETY-L@LISTSERV.JMU.EDU

From:
"Henriques, Gregg - henriqgx" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 4 Feb 2021 11:26:12 +0000
Brandon and Others,

  This issue of how to determine the value of big picture views is a crucial issue, one that has gotten much less attention than it needs.

  Here are a couple of brief considerations:

  1.  These are frameworks or maps of the territory, so there can be many different ones that have validity, just like there are many different ways to represent the United States. Indeed, the attached ToK Manifesto offers several maps of the ToK System that makes the point. Note, it was developed back in 2000, so you can see where my thinking was 20 years ago. (come to think of it, I will put this up as a blog on medium).
  2.  There is an almost universal naturalist picture of a time x complexification. This is true of essentially every major Big Picture view, such as E O Wilson’s Consilience and Big History. As such, IMO, the time by complexification picture of naturalism should be seen as a given. It is definitely undertaught at the high school and undergraduate level, so it is far more “new” than it should be. But this is Big History’s primary point and we should just support that.
  3.  Because of the map territory issue, there will be different emphases of the Big Picture. And there are philosophical (i.e., metaphysical, ontological, epistemological) differences and metatheoretical differences. They are separate but are related. The “M E” flower on the UTOK Tree represents this.
  4.  The question then becomes…what is the map-territory point of the work and what is the metaphysical/metatheoretical contribution? From my vantage point, the reference here again can be a Big History/Consilience view. What does the system do differently or is it just a variant on that. This is where a work like Wilber’s Integral Theory makes a big contribution. His work on the epistemological quadrants is brilliant and adds a new angle. So, for example, I am ordering Sean Carroll’s The Big Picture<https://www.amazon.com/Big-Picture-Origins-Meaning-Universe/dp/1101984252> and Rolston’s The Three Big Bangs<https://www.amazon.com/Three-Big-Bangs-Matter-Energy-Life/dp/0231156391>. I will read them with this reference point to see if I learn anything new.

If one is familiar with the ToK System, things will become apparent just by reading the blurb. The most common Big History/Big Picture view is the three big bang view. Sometimes there are four, sometimes there are five (Orders of Nature). For me, I am both a fan of Big History and thus like to see these books I am looking for a particular angle on the map. However, I will immediately home in on what I see as the central metaphysical-metatheoretical problem…That is the shadow cast by the Enlightenment Gap that manifests in the problem of psychology. If a person does not understand those to problems, and does not have a background in psychology, the map I am offering is not going to be very relevant.

In addition, when I look at new approaches, if the point of the map is a consilient naturalistic view and they do not directly address the problem of psychology, then I likely will be skeptical that they can add much. The reason is because at the most zoomed out level, the Enlightenment Gap into the problem of psychology represents BY FAR the biggest threat/challenge/complication to those who fall under the spell of the Ionian Enchantment, such as myself<https://everything2.com/title/Ionian+Enchantment#:~:text=The%20Ionian%20Enchantment%20is%20an,small%20number%20of%20natural%20laws%22.>. Thus, if you are blind to that problem and just over look it and then proceed to try to say you have a new naturalistic consilient view, then my expert analysis is that you are blind to the core nature of the problem.

Any consilient naturalistic approach should afford psychology a coherent metatheory, and thus needs to have a descriptive metaphysical system that is up to the task of that problem.