TOK-SOCIETY-L Archives

November 2020

TOK-SOCIETY-L@LISTSERV.JMU.EDU

Date:
Sun, 22 Nov 2020 13:00:57 -0800
I could see that, to a point, but that could affirm my argument as well -
that by metacognition, one could make sure they don’t identify with loss or
negativity of any kind, or don’t make their self the effect of their
problem by giving it so much attention.

“He who identifies with loss,  loss enjoys to ruin” Tao Te Ching

....I could benefit enormously simply by acquiring some basic assumptions
that highly successful people live by ...but the exact assumptions are hard
to find because of mutual blind spots (such people tend not to be able to
conceive of my perspective, nor I theirs, which is often a cause of
frustration... and worse, few people feel safe examining their assumptions
and many prefer to use them to maintain a superior frame over whoever they
can, which is why I almost never get a supportive answer when I ask.

It isn’t always easy to aviod identifying with loss, when that identity is
cued all over the place. Any game where we know we can win or lose that
counts tends to worry most people, and if one losses a game, peers tend to
ask tricky questions, any of which, if answered wrong, inadvertently cause
one to identify with loss....which is why successful people learn to care
less about outcome....but some people become passive when they try not to
care about outcome...it’s not obvious via the objective frame, but more of
an independent, personal attitude. The trope of Mafia bosses seems to fit
the kind of person good at never identifying with loss, and also trapping
others not doing so.

It’s similar to the desire paradox in Buddhism, whereby desiring not to
suffer causes suffering, so if that is your impetus for practicing
Buddhism, you’d better examine yourself...without clinging to any concept
whatsoever. ... And that’s also related to what I’m getting at with the
scientific mind...something to do with the problem of being an observer, as
an “effect” of some objective form.

If being “the cause” is not to be the effect of someone or thing, it should
also mean not to desire, because desire is a mental fixation- to be the
effect, often delusional. To have no desire, yet remain active, to not
identify with any name or label, suggests to me a state of inner freedom
and forceless power.

When you don’t make yourself the “Observer effect“ of your obstacle, nor
your identifications, but return to a beginners mind, or put your mind on
something outside the context of win vs loss...I think something good is
around the corner.

Jamie

On Sun, Nov 22, 2020 at 9:01 AM Leland Beaumont <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:

> *CAUTION: *This email originated from outside of JMU. Do not click links
> or open attachments unless you recognize the sender and know the content is
> safe.
>
> Jamie,
>
> If we can become skilled at metacognition, then it seems your quoted claim
> becomes false.
>
> (I apologize if I am responding to this one post out of context; I have
> not studied the full thread.)
>

> Thanks,
>

> Lee Beaumont

-Jamie