TOK-SOCIETY-L Archives

April 2020

TOK-SOCIETY-L@LISTSERV.JMU.EDU

From:
Cory David Barker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 13 Apr 2020 10:36:25 -0500
Gregg,

Most of your responses divert from my points, but I will respond -

> On Apr 13, 2020, at 7:39 AM, Henriques, Gregg - henriqgx <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>
> Cory,
>
>    I think we are getting our communication systems crossed here. Regarding the Unified Framework, here is how I see the Quadrants:
> <image002.jpg>
>
>   Are you clear about what each of these mean?

Yes

> Do you see that I place the ToK System in the ITS column?

Yes, which is why I said "with a knowledge structure that is intended to be an ultimate expression of that very quadrant”.

> Do you thus understand that at the level theory/epistemology I agree with the four quadrants and ITS/Systems/InterObjective is included/embraced in the theoretical structure?

Yes, you’ve posted it multiple places.

> Do you want to (perhaps back channel) engage in a discussion about the correspondence between Integral and the Unified Framework?.

I’m not talking about integral theory correspondence in general, just the quadrant perspectives. The larger scope of your correspondence to integral is super important work in the larger scope, but I stay on point for now.

> Attached is a draft section from my “in-progress” book that explores the concept of behavior, science and the exterior IT and ITS epistemological quadrants. Bottom line, I am happy to explore my work in relation to the quadrants

I know you make correspondences but I am talking about W I I specifically.

>   Second, there that there is a major difference between W I I Thrive as a well-being movement we are exploring and the Tok/Unified Framework. I was not sure that you fully internalized that.

The triad of the W I I is referred to as the "three core domains" in your presentation independent from this  W I I movement. The W I I movement inherits this triad. Correct?

> Given what you write here, you seem to be conflating the two. The purpose of W I I Thrive is not to advance a unified theory of psychology. Rather W I I Thrive is a well-being movement that I am embarking on with Zak Ali to foster social connection, resilience and personal growth in a difficult time. At its most basic, It is grounded in the idea that folks may benefit from a CALM-MO support group that they form with friends and family, one that also comes with helpful techniques for growth and adaptation. Are you clear on what CALM-MO is?

Yes and I do not suppose I am conflating. I do not at all see how you can separate the ToK / unified theory of psychology from having deep influence in CALM-MO and W I I Thrive.

> Do you understand why it might be--for a more popular movement that is designed to foster engagement with lots of people—that going with W I I I Thrive might not be necessary just to signal to the small percentage people aware of Wilber’s quadrants that we do consider ITS?

Yes I do understand this. I never intended to give this impression. But why not just call it W I I I anyways and include the perspective for the demographic who might find it critical perspective to aid in their meta-conceptuality of personal well-being? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

> We are going with We, I and It(s) not because the distinction between IT and ITS is not technically important from a deeper knowledge perspective, but rather the goals of the movement are to create an ecology of psychological and social practices that help people come together and connect in the wake of the emerging mental health crisis. And not listing the extra “I” in the title does not mean that we don’t consider it.

You said it was not important, and you say you consider it, so together does this mean that you consider it but it is not important? I think it is unwise to conflate it and its together into one thing because they are ver different. It would be as odd as if you merged I and we together and said “I” is not important as we.

>   Bottom line, from my vantage point, I do not see this as a case of either include or exclude. It is that context and purpose determines relative utility of emphasis.

Again, I disagree with your bottom line. This *is* a case of include or exclude, and it is not dichotomous with context and purpose determining relative utility of emphasis (which I agree can be true). Try and understand I am not making an attack to discredit your project but rather to strengthen it, my contribution here is to warn of the inevitable consequents of determining that collective exterior is unimportant in any perspectival model that seeks to operate with any kind of meta-cognitive high-order vision-logic or whatever you want to say.

Cory