From:
Phil Smith III <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Phil Smith III <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 24 Oct 2013 12:14:45 -0400
+1 (actually +1000).

I always told the team, "Remember, this is a sprint, not a marathon. You
will not get everything done; that's part of the challenge." And every year,
about two or three weeks before Regionals, NOTHING worked. And then things
would start to break loose, and by tournament day, we were OK - never
"great", but OK. And made State every year, so something went right.!

Putting my cynical glasses on (actually, I'm afraid they rarely come off
these days), it's a refreshing counterpoint to the modern
everybody-wins-a-trophy, just-give-them-another-chance/more-time kind of
attitude that's all too common. We've all heard stories about kids who get
jobs and think they can just show up late (or not at all) and are then
surprised when they get yelled at or fired. FLL is a gentle but solid dose
of reality - one that many kids can benefit from.

--

Phil Smith III

Coach, The Capital Girls (retired)

Team 1900 (2002)